Monday 21 February 2011

Mr. Mob: The Life and Crimes of Moe Dalitz



Mr. Mob: The Life and Crimes of Moe Dalitz
Michael Newton | 2009-04-13 00:00:00 | McFarland | 328 | Criminals
Morris "Moe" Dalitz was America's most secretive and most successful mobster. As a major architect of the United States' national crime syndicate, Dalitz was active in various fields of organized crime from 1918 until his death, all while spinning a web of myth and mock-respectability around himself so dense that decades after his demise, most mistake the legend for reality. From Prohibition-era bootlegging to the Reagan years, no other individual was present at so many pivotal events in gangland history. It's impossible to fully understand the modern Mob without knowing about Dalitz, his career, and the cunning publicity campaign that transformed his image from thug to that of a revered philanthropist. This exhaustive biography tells the story of Dalitz's life and the syndicate that he and like-minded individuals built from scratch.
Reviews
Although I would be very interested in reading this book, I will not buy it as I feel it is over-priced for a paperback edition.

In my opinion, for the $40.00 price, you should at least get a hardback edition.

I think even the late Moe Dalitz would probably agree that he is being overpriced. But, if the book sell well at that price then the publisher made the right decision.
Reviews
I just finished this book, and I found it fascinating. The research is extensive--and well-documented. I don't understand the previous reviewer's vague comment about a mistake between pages 1-38. It's American and European history! Maybe if he had spelled it out, it might make more sense, but he seemed to be too busy complaining about the lousy binding. He should have called the publisher and got a new copy.



As far as I can tell, this is the only book completely about Moe Dalitz. There are bits and pieces about Dalitz in various books about the early days of the Mob, as well as ones on the building of Las Vegas. I thought the author did a thorough job of chronicling Dalitz's life and his pivotal role in Mob history. The reader is left to draw his own conclusions about how much influence Dalitz had--which I found was A LOT. If you're interested in the early days of the Mob and Vegas, this is the book for you.






Reviews
I received this very expensive paperback book very quickly after placing the order. I got as far as page 51 when the pages started pouring out of the very bad binding. It's a complete shambles and pretty impossible to read without taking the pages one by one and adding them to a binder clip.

I have no idea why this book is so costly-- over $40. Add to that a pretty bad inaccuracy found between pages 1 - and 38 and I'd say this is not a very satisfying read. Perhaps it gets better in a copy where the pages don't fall out of a brand new book.

Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment