Monday 21 February 2011

The Belly of the Bow



The Belly of the Bow
K. J. Parker | 2003-05-01 00:00:00 | | 0 | Fiction
This was not a great book, and I'd rather give it about 3 1/2 stars, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and rounded up. The thing about this book is that it's not like most fantasy novels, where the fate of the world is at stake against unspeakable evil. The best way I can think of describing this book is that it's not too serious. It reads more like the author is just having fun and taking some shots at different types of people, similar to a book like Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. There is a war in the background, but it is really incidental to the story. It's really a book about people and how they relate to each other. But like I said, it's not very serious, so you don't really get caught up in worrying if they're going to win or to survive because it doesn't seem to matter that much. Unfortunately, the lack of seriousness makes it hard to be affected by the tragic moments because you can't just switch moods like that.
I found this one easier to read than the first book in the series, which really seemed to drag. Not a lot happens in either book, and I can't say I highly recommend the series, but if you are sick of the same old thing in fantasy, you might want to try this for a change of pace.
Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

1 comment:

  1. That's a fair review for a book that I am currently reading. I picked up the sequels also, and will read them. I looks to me as though some of the 'rules' of storytelling are broken by the author and that is interesting to me. I agree that if you are looking for fantasy that is a little away from the usual, these are certainly that. There are a couple of things I don't like, but there is also much that I do like.

    ReplyDelete