Friday 28 January 2011

Forget You Had a Daughter: Doing Time in the 'Bangkok Hilton'



Forget You Had a Daughter: Doing Time in the 'Bangkok Hilton'
Sandra Gregory,Michael Tierney | 2003-01-01 00:00:00 | Vision | 280 | Memoirs

Following two years of living abroad in Thailand, Sandra Gregory suddenly became desperately ill and as her medical bills began to mount, her bank account dwindled. In exchange for $2,000 she agreed to carry 89 grams of heroin to Tokyo for a friend, but before she even boarded the plane she was caught by Bangkok Airport security and ultimately sentenced to 25 years inside the infamous Lard Yao prison. In this shocking account, Sandra details the four and a half years she spent in Thai prison and describes scenes of horrific brutality and suffering. She tells of her daily fight for survival, of the many women who died with no medical care or loved ones around them, and of her acceptance of her guilt and ultimate redemption. Amidst the pain and torture, this honest recollection shows how Sandra fought for survival, and prevailed.


Reviews
Read this book in two days, only because I had to work! Made both my daughters read it, just in case!
Reviews
I just finished reading "Forget You Had a Daughter" by Sandra Gregory and I found it to be one scary book. Young people take a lot of chances and this young lady took one too - big mistake. She should have just called home and asked her parents for money. That's what parents are there for (I'm a parent, and I know!). I enjoyed the book immensely and felt badly for the author who lost a lot of years in her young life to prison. Glad that she's doing well now and has moved on! On a lighter note, my daughter walked past the book on my dresser and was very hurt to think that I would read a book about trying to forget that I had her. I had to explain the title to her and I also had to interject a life lesson about the potential dangers of traveling abroad with drugs. I think she was sorry she brought the whole subject up!
Reviews
I felt the gamut of emotions when I read this book. I felt there weren't enough words described by the author for her reason to smuggle the drugs in the first place.

She described how she needed the money, but what were the underlying real reasons she would put herself through such risk? I never felt satisfied with her answer. I kept wondering how anyone would risk being jailed abroad--maybe a combination of youthful naivete' and extreme risk taking?

Her account of her prison time was heart breaking and difficult to read, at times. She is truly a survivor.


Reviews
I saw her story on National Geographic's "Locked Up Abroad" and did a google search the next day to learn more about her story. I found she had written a memoir and ordered the book. I read it within 24 hours - it was very interesting and as the others mention, feel it should be required reading by students before travelling abroad. I myself am naive in assuming the best in people and probably could have easily found myself in her shoes had I travelled that early in my life.
Reviews
Sandra Gregory takes us deep inside life in a Thailand women's prison and then into the Durham prison of England. Life was terrible for this woman who was arrested for drug trafficking a very small amount of heroin in her vagina. She truly did not deserve such a long and harrowing sentence. She is a hero in my opinion for having survived such an incredibly soul-destroying incarceration. God bless Sandy for writing such a critically-needed memoir. Her book should be on everybody's required reading list, especially high school and college-age kids. They could benefit from Sandy's horrible experience, and might be deterred from doing the same. Thank God she finally got released, but how terrible was her suffering in the mean time! A truly sad but unforgettable read.

Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment