Monday 24 January 2011

Tibetan Songs Of Realization: Echoes From A Seventeenth-century Scholar And Siddha In Amdo (Brill's Tibetan Studies Library)


Tibetan Songs Of Realization: Echoes From A Seventeenth-century Scholar And Siddha In Amdo (Brill's Tibetan Studies Library)
Victoria Sujata | 2004-01-01 00:00:00 | Brill | 455 | Hinduism
NOTES ON CONTRIBUTORS
My thanks can never be expressed sufficiently to so many monks and
lay people in the Reb gong region for the encouragement, hospitality
and support they have shown me during the ten years in which I have
developed this book. I would especially like to thank A khu Khri
rgan tshang (brother of the seventh Skal ldan rgya mtsho) and A lags
ma ni (nephew of the seventh Skal ldan rgya mtsho and cousin of the
eighth Skal ldan rgya mtsho) for their encouragement; and the Bkra
shis ’khyil scholar Dpal ’byor, who read the biography of Skal ldan
rgya mtsho with me and who has been a great source of inspiration
over the years. This book could not have been written without the
consistent and excellent help of the Rong bo scholar, Blo bzang chos
grags, with whom I worked during the summers of 2000 and 2001,
who answered numerous questions over the entire spectrum of the
book and proofread the Tibetan script. I also want to acknowledge
the help of the late Rong bo scholar ’Jigs med theg mchog (principal
teacher of the eighth Skal ldan rgya mtsho) in helping me obtain a
woodblock print of Skal ldan rgya mtsho’s Collected Writings in
1996 and in assisting my efforts towards making a catalogue of it in
2001.
I also owe much gratitude to Harvard professors Leonard van der
Kuijp and Robert Gimello; Dan Martin; and E. Gene Smith, founder
and director of the Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center, who have
offered numerous suggestions covering the entire book. K. E. Duffin
of the Writing Center at Harvard read and edited most of it, and I can
never repay her many hours of clarity, enthusiasm and brilliant
suggestions. I would also like to thank the late Professor Michael
Aris, my first Tibetan language, culture, and history teacher at
Harvard, who fanned the embers of my fascination with Tibetology.
Pierre Roubillard assisted me with the font, Tibetan on the
Macintosh (Mar pa). Lewis Dalvin, of Tweeter, Etc., recommended
the recording equipment; and William Countie, audio engineer of the
Media Production Center at Harvard, worked with me tirelessly to
produce exactly the CD that I wanted. David McAllester, ethnomusicologist,
formerly of Wesleyan University, engaged me in rigorously stimulating conversations about some of the musical
portions of this book. Harvard Professor K. K. Shelemay, ethnomusicologist,
offered valuable suggestions on portions of the coda. I
accept responsibility for any remaining mistakes in this book.

# Hardcover: 455 pages
# Publisher: Brill Academic Publishers (October 30, 2004)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 9004140956
# ISBN-13: 978-9004140950
Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment