Tuesday 25 January 2011

Encyclopedia of Evolution



Encyclopedia of Evolution
Stanley A., Ph.d. Rice | 2006-12-30 00:00:00 | Facts on File | 528 | Math
Reviews
One doesn't usually think about reading an encyclopedia straight through, but I really enjoyed doing so with this one. The entries are clearly written and interesting, illustrating the breadth of evolutionary science. Of course, it can also be used as a reference source to review brief summaries of the key concepts in evolution. An intriguing perspective is provided by Rice on creationist nonsense as he was once one himself and openly shares how his viewpoint shifted to the other side. He is a botanist and so many of the references to evolution from the plant perspective were refreshingly new to someone like me who has been more interested by animal evolution. The Appendix is a very nice summary of the Origin of Species; reading it really made me appreciate just what an incredible genius Darwin was. Strongly recommended!!
Reviews
If I'm not mistaken CA public school science standards don't introduce evolution into grade schools until the 7th grade. The CA textbooks that I come across for recycle at public libraries and elsewhere confirm this.

In that light, I purchased a few good books on evolution for my daughter that would fill that void. If very young children can get a fear-based education in bible school every week, surely a 6th grader should be provided with a decent home library to supplement what is sorely lacking.



This one by Rice arrived in the mail first. While it IS geared toward 9th grade and HS readers, it is exactly what one could expect from an experienced and qualified biology teacher. Rice includes excellent book and web references. As a scientist and practicing Christian he handles the creationist/evolution debate nicely.



Of course my daughter immediately had to bring to the old man's attention the entry WHY DO HUMANS DIE?

Aging and Death Are in the Body--

"From age 30 to 75, the average male human loses 44 percent of his brain capacity, 64 percent of his taste buds, and 44 pecent of his lung capacity. The older man's heart output is 30 percent lower, and his nerves 10 percent slower. His brain receives 20 percent less blood. During exercise the older man absorbs 60 percent less oxygen into the blood." And so on.

I immediately turned to the entry 'religion, evolution of' for some consolation.

"Religion would probably have been a local abberation in early human populations had it not provided some evolutionary advantage."

In my shrinking brain I'm going to remember that when I review creationist lit on Amazon.


Reviews
I started reading books on evolution 2 years ago. I stopped counting at 35. Authors such as: Mayr, Goulding, Simpson, Huxley, Ridley, Zimmer, Goldsmith, Margulis, Simpson, Dawkins, Eisley, Darwin, Dennett, Eldredge, Greene, Futuyma. I consider this book to be among the best. A great tool to get a handle on the most significant facts, discoveries and personalities in the field. This would be a great book for college and high school libraries. I would never have thought that an Encyclopedia type format would be so interesting to simply sit down and read. One has only to turn to the first pages of the book in the Acknowledgments to see the people who have reviewed the volume... basically a who's who of leaders in the field of Evolution... to realize that this book is a significant contribution... and worthy of anybody's time. I checked the book out of the library... but I'm afraid I'm going to have to go out and buy my own copy.

Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment