Wednesday 19 January 2011

Applied Java Patterns



Applied Java Patterns
| 1969-12-31 00:00:00 | | 0 | Java Patterns


Increasingly, Java developers are recognizing the value of patterns in helping to build more robust, effective software systems -- but most books on patterns are either generic or focused on other languages. Now, the creators of Sun's own course on Java patterns have written the definitive book for working developers. Replete with working code, this book offers practical help with all types of patterns, in every facet of development -- from individual classes to overall system architecture. First, the authors introduce the fundamentals of patterns, presenting a high-level overview of how they can be used most effectively in Java development, and introducing each key type of pattern: creational, behavioral, and structural. Next, they present specific techniques for using patterns with core Java APIs (including security, event, JavaBeans, and Swing APIs); and in advanced distributed development with JDBC, RMI, CORBA, JNDI, and JavaSpaces. The book concludes with detailed coverage of pattern use in enterprise systems built with servlets, JSP, and other J2EE infrastructure technologies.

User review
Good as a reference and refresher
For the developer LEARNING Patterns, the Heads First book seems the most popular. But this is essential as a reference book. Premier examples, plus it reads more like a book and less like a math book (as most coding books are).


I open this up from time to time to keep those patterns not used often fresh in my mind to ensure I will realize when one is needed.


This is the first book that I go to for anything patterns, and I have a copy at work because my coworkers also come to this book when they need a refresher or reference.

User review
Pattern books with detailed examples explained
This is the Pattern book that can be made compariable with GoF's book -- Detailed and clear explanation of 23 patterns plus some system patterns. The full code examples can further illustrate the concepts in a modern view and benefitial to technical pattern design. Though it's Java approach, it can still work in other OO-related projects.

User review
Read Head First Design Pattern Instead
After reading this book, I did not see the author tried any new way to explain how, when and why to use design patterns. I don't think the book is worth the moeny I spent buying it.

User review
Java Applied Patterns as Supplement to GOF
I got the book before I had read the GOF book and found it quite useful. After reading the GOF book I found it even more so - I like the simpler examples and the fact that they are done in Java. Some people will not like the code reprint at the end of the book (about the last half of the book) - however I do, as it is quite convenient for referencing. Found the UML diagrams that were downloadable from the web reference site quite helpful.

The major problem with the book are the errors! The first pattern I looked at (Visitor) had an extraordinary number of errors. In the text it gave the methods one name and used another name in the code listing. Two of the classes for this pattern the code was simply duplicated from a third class. The downloaded examples did have the correct code. Be nice if there was a CD - but this is no major issue.

I would give it a 2 star at best, due to the errors, but if you can sift through the errors I think you will find it a nice supplement to the GOF book hence 3.5 stars (if I could).

User review
GoF and more for JAVA
Just shortly: Book contains all patterns from GoF book. Patterns are explained in more appropriate way and more closer to Java. Also examples are pretty simple and easy to understand. So the simplicity would be the best about this book.

I also like that the the second part of the book: `Patterns in the Java Programming Language` where the author covers extra patterns used in J2EE which I find very usefull !

I would like to see a CD or FD attached on the end of the book, although full code samples are also good (you don't need PC while reading the book). There is a web site to download examples and images and all fits on one single cheap floppy.

Anyway the best pattern book for Java I saw. I have many Pattern eBooks, but all of them are either too simple (can't really learn how to use the pattern), or too complicated (e.g. GoF is complicated for me). So this remains the best for me.


Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment