Thursday 24 February 2011

C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4



C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4
| 2006-06-26 00:00:00 | | 0 | C++


Qt 4 is radically different from earlier versions of Qt, with lots of new features and many small changes everywhere in the API. For customers porting applications from Qt 3 to Qt 4, this is bad news; but for us, this is good news, because it means that owners of the Qt 3 book will want to buy this one as well. Those who buy this book will: [1] Learn how to program Qt the right way, i.e. with the grain of the tool. [2] Learn standard patterns of Qt programming, from basic tasks like creating a file menu with a recently used files list to more complex tasks such as presenting data to the user through the user interface, and providing the user with the ability to interact with their data. [3] Learn how to extend Qt to meet their needs, for example, through subclassing and by composition. [4] Gain insight into programming in general and into graphical user interface programming in particular.

User review
This book is mediocre, hard to read, etc,,.
The UK based magazine, Linux Format 109, gives it a poor grade: 4/10

And says `As easy to read as a Croatian trains time table`.


I would certainly agree with Linux Format: this book was quickly (hastely?) written.

In its current form, it is not good at all: I do regret my purchase (made only because Trolltech somewhere recommends it).


I have been browsing: `The Book of Qt 4: The Art of Building Qt Applications` by Daniel Molkentin.


My first impression of `The Book of Qt 4: The Art of Building Qt Applications` is a lot more positive, and I will probably purchase it.


Note: My previous posting, also negative (never derogative though) just disappeared.

I am wondering if Amazon delete negative evaluations.

This would not be so wise: trust here is of some value.



User review
A warning about the Kindle edition
Just a note of caution if you decide to buy the Kindle version: of course the CD-ROM is not included, and I have not been able to locate any alternative source for the example code (although the Qt software is readily available for download). I assumed this would be a minor issue, but some of their examples are cumulative, so having the source would give one the option of skipping topics that are not of immediate interest. In addition, I encountered an apparent ambiguity or omission in a description of constructing a dialog in the designer tool; having the source would clear this up, but it is difficult to resolve without it. Interestingly, the latest hardback edition does not have this problem -- the same section has a slightly different description that makes sense. So perhaps the Kindle edition is an earlier version.



User review
Excellent Book
This book is well written and covers everything needed to get up and running. I bought the book and used it to learn Qt for my CS masters research. I went through it cover to cover, and was programming professional quality, rock solid, GUIs in a month and a half. Using just the Trolltech supplied on-line documentation, that would have been impossible.

User review
Qt book really helps get you started.
I've recently started GUI programming again after about 12 years doing other things, and I've never used Qt. I needed a book to get me started, and this one really worked well. It provides many examples and pieces of template code that help bootstrap whatever it is that you need to do. The major pieces of functionality are all covered, and the explanations are precise and understandable.


My one complaint for this book is that it doesn't cover everything in Qt. For more esoteric things you'll have to switch over to the Qt on-line documentation available at trolltech.com. I've read other reviewers' complaints that the information in this book is all available at the Qt web site. That may be true, but if you're just learning, this book presents things in a logical and subsetted way. Also, since it has an index, it's easier to look up a specific area of interest.


Overall, I highly recommend this book if you're just starting out with Qt and/or GUI programming in general.

User review
Well structured and nice examples.
What impressed me the most, was how simple was to build a drawing icon widget and a spreadsheet with qt 4. I believe that this is a must have.


Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment