Friday 4 March 2011

Flash MX Savvy (With CD-ROM)



Flash MX Savvy (With CD-ROM)
| 1969-12-31 00:00:00 | | 0 | Macromedia Flash


From authors Ethan Watrall and Norbert Herber, experienced authors, teachers, and web professionals, comes an essential addition to your Flash library, written from the ground up for Flash MX.

Flash MX Savvy teaches designers how to hone their artistic skills, while showing developers how to navigate the ins and outs of ActionScript and other advanced techniques. Topics covered include: creating and developing Flash content to put on your web site; producing compelling interactive content for site visitors; mastering the ins and outs of ActionScript to add advanced interactivity; integrating professional-level audio into your animations; and maximizing Flash's potential when used with other programs.

Flash MX Savvy features an ActionScript reference section, a color section showcases professional Flash usage, and a CD with trial software and files to support the book's hands-on tutorials.

Like all Savvy books, Flash MX Savvy is printed on quality, coated paper for crisp image reproduction.

User review
A decent book with room for improvement
I'm a fairly savvy computer user in most graphics and video applications, and I've had an interest in what Flash can offer for my projects. I've enjoyed using Dreamweaver for years, and figured I'd get myself a guide to help explore the world of Flash.


And while this book presents some good basics on using the features available in Flash, there are just too many BASIC chapters. Really, the book should start somewhere around chapter 10 or 11. If you have any knowledge of Freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign/Pagemaker, Quark or any other major graphics program, a good chunk of this book will bore you to tears.


However, the parts on animation are very clearly written, and the supporting files show you how things should work so you can judge your progress.


Personally, I'd prefer more emphasis on web design and less on pure animation, but I understand the bias, given Flash's primary intent. If you're looking for a Flash for the Web book, do consider either 1) a companion book or 2) a different source altogether.

User review
Intermediate Users will like this book
Flash MX Savvy is NOT for beginners. It's not for advanced users either. It is a happy medium that is written for intermediate users of Macromedia Flash MX.

The presentation style is what most impresses me with this book. It is not a reference manual, nor is it one of those `Use our pre-made material in this step-by-step tutorial` sorts of books. It tells you the steps that need to be taken in a way that lets you apply what you read to your situation and not one they have dreamed up for you to mindlessly follow.

The progression of topics begins at the beginning. It talks about the various windows and panels, the tools for creating content, and then moves on to techniques in utilizing each tool in greater detail.

Actionscripting is implemented in very small portions that are followed with a description of what the code does and how to alter it.

The most interesting bits of information are towards the back of the book. Sections for integrating Audio and Video effectively are detailed very well. The capstone for me is the section on producing Flash content for an interactive CD. It was this that made me choose the Savvy book over any of the others on the shelf. It was unique, caught my interest, and is applicable to situations I will come into contact with in the future.



User review
This book makes me sick
A 600+ pages tour of Flash MX buttons and menus,,. with just a couple ridiculously elementary `tutorials` thrown in. Makes me think of somone who had to write a flash book and has never done anything with it but figure out how the user interface works. You won't find anything useful in here, that is about CREATING something with Flash. As for me I am never gonna buy a book from this author again, and I am probably also ditching the whole `savvy` line as well.

User review
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY
The actual rating is MINUS 5 stars. This book sucks. The stupid CD DOES NOT WORK on PC. Finally I copied it from my Mac. More surprises. Some chapters, IMPORTANT ONES, ARE MISSING. Without completing these chapters, you can't move on. I am throwing my book away in disgust. I'm heading out to buy a book that actually works.

People who can't even program their own CDs shoudn't write `How to` manuals.

User review
Good book, good start
If you would like to learn flash then this is a good book to start. With all the different titles out there, I believe that this comes clostest to being 'savvy'. It covers a lot of important concepts that you would need to get started like simple drawing, amimation, sounds, and a good intro to action script (if you don't know much about scripting then this maybe a hard concept to understand, MX has a simple interface of click and drag, but on the 2004 verison, the option was taken out).
Like all complex program, flash is a 'bottoms up' program where you need to learn the simple concept first, then from it build up a more complex movie.

I brought this book with a Flash class I'm taking at my college of env design. It really helps when there is an instructor to help with the common questions. But, since I missed most of the class, I found this book to be very helpful. Nevertheless, I wish there were more 'hands on' chapters.


Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment