Saturday 12 February 2011

Complete Digital Photography, Fourth Edition (Graphics Series)



Complete Digital Photography, Fourth Edition (Graphics Series)
| 2007-06-26 00:00:00 | | 0 | Digital Photography


Complete Digital Photography has become a classic book for helping traditional photographers move to digital! It's also the book of choice for many new digital photographers who want to learn how to take great digital photos. Now in its 4th edition, this bestseller has been fine-tuned and updated to provide the most current information available. Covering everything from the inner workings of the camera to the subtle intricacies of image editing software, the book is divided into four sections. The first section provides the basic technical foundation needed throughout the rest of the book. It details the basics of how digital cameras work and provides a quick photography primer. The second part explores everything needed to make an informed decision about which camera, computer, and software to choose. Section three has been thoroughly updated and expanded to cover the nitty gritty of shooting, including metering, choosing the right exposure, using histograms, flash photography, and much more. And the final section, teaches the latest digital editing and correction techniques, including new coverage of workflow and raw conversion.

User review
Complete Digital Photography
Well written book with explanantions that the beginner can follow and learn from. Excellent book for both the beginner or amateur photographer.

User review
Good information, but HARD TO READ!
First I want to say that I did not buy this book, but rather checked it out of the library. I am new to doing anything more than taking a small camera out of the case and `pointing and shooting.` I recently decided to really get into photography and buy a Digital SLR camera. I did a lot of research online but decided to get a book on the subject as well. The library here only had this book and I must admit that I learned quite a bit, but I find it very frustrating to read.


The author re-uses sentences and sometimes paragraphs repeatedly throughout the book! I can understand making important points a couple of times, but even minute settings that are common sense to someone with almost no experience such as myself do not need to re addressed multiple times across multiple chapters! It seems as though the author is very well versed in his subject, but is not well versed in how to teach others. The book reads very technically and at times is confusing to follow.


Another problem i noticed is the layout of the book is a bit hap-hazard at times. You are asked to refer to diagrams that are several chapters away on several occasions. If you want me to compare a diagram and discuss it's attributes, I should not have to flip pages (even one page!). I also noticed on occasion that what the author was discussing was not visible in the picture; and it seemed that the picture wasn't the correct one.


I learned a lot from this book, but it is visually unappealing, confusing to follow, and poorly laid out. That is why it gets only 2 stars.

User review
Complete Digital Photography
I have used film cameras for over 50 years and thus come from a back ground of using this media. My reason for purchasing this book was to gain knowledge of the digital photography which I have only experienced with video cameras. I am finding the book very readable and appears to answer many of my questions relating to upgrading to a digital SLR.

Prior to reading the book I was feeling some concern at the thought of spending relatively large sums of money on new digital equipment but now feel much more confident. I like the layout and the order of presentation and would certainly recommend the book to others making the transition from analogue to digital photography.

User review
The best book I've found on the subject
I am not a professional photographer, although I have owned more than one digital camera and recently purchased my first digital SLR. I have acquired several digital photography books over the past few years. No single book can do it all, but if I could have only one this would be my clear choice. The writer is a pro, as one reviewer noted, but his writing style simplifies the subject to the extent possible. If a person only wants to learn the basics for shooting in Auto mode then the camera's user guide will usually suffice and another book probably isn't necessary. I first read this book rather rapidly, start to finish. Since then I use it frequently as a quick reference, picking subjects as needed to refresh my memory or acquire more detail. The book is well organized and it's easy to find particular topics. The author covers pretty much the whole scene including camera selection, digital technology, composition, working with digital files, producing prints, and use of photo editors with emphasis on Adobe products. If you are a reader who truly wants to acquire useful information and who is willing to think, then I recommend this book.

User review
Completely satisfied
I started learning photography 25 years ago, and have spent 15 years as a travel writer/photographer based in Hong Kong, I have only in the past few weeks made the transition to a digital SLR, as I was sceptical about digital cameras over film SLRs. This book has smoothed the way for the switch, and I can't speak highly enough of it. There are many books on photography out there that are superficial - great covers masking a lack of substance. That is why I check out the Amazon book reviews before making a decision on which one to buy. Complete Digital Photography is absolutely thorough, and makes a complex subject easy to understand. No need to say more. The reviewers have said it already. Buy it! You won't be disappointed.


Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment