Tuesday 8 March 2011

UML Bible



UML Bible
| 2003-06-02 00:00:00 | | 984 | UML


* Comprehensive coverage of all aspects of UML (Unified Modeling Language), including use, diagramming notation, the object constraint language, and profiles
* UML is the industry standard specification for modeling, visualizing, and documenting software projects
* Includes up-to-date coverage of both UML 1.4 and the new 2.0 UML specifications
* Thoroughly covers executable UML and testing UML diagrams, making coding more efficient
* Companion Web site provides additional code samples and updates

User review
Quick reference
I need to read UML diagrams provided by another company, initially I thought there are bunch of free on-line resources, but it turns out that's not a effective way to sort things out quickly, this book is a overkill for a casual user like me, but it saved me tons of time to search the meaning of a particular symbal etc.

User review
Amazing book
That's the best UML book I've ever read!


There're a lot of amazing detailed examples in it, the explanations are very useful and with an easy use of language.


Therefore, really the best! It helped me a lot!

User review
Very good although short on complex examples
UML Bible is as solid a reference as I've come across. It is extremely comphrehensive and contains many many examples. The problem with this book is the problem with every other UML book I've purchased: It's long on explaining the UML specification and short on providing examples of good architectural design practice. The book does include a case study of sorts but stops short of providing a complete set of architectural drawings depicting an application system. That is, of course, what most of us who are buying these books want. We want to design computer systems with UML.

User review
UML Bible - a guide and reference to UML
Excellent for learners and as a reference. I found the book was very well structured: it was easy for me to find what I needed to know quickly. It was also not too `heavy` to read cover to cover in order to get familiar with all the aspects of UML.

User review
Excellent book for medium to advanced UML users
The book is laid out very well, starting with a review of UML and provides thorough and detailed descriptions of all the diagrams and notations. I'm using this nearly exclusively to help me model projects, and is on my desk instead of on my bookshelf.


The author clearly understands UML and takes the reader effectively through the distinctions between the many notations.


Pluses

- Excellent description on the differences between UML 1.4 and 2.0, including completely different chapters where necessary

- Detailed descriptions of all the notations including less often used pieces

- Explicit definitions of key terms that limit confusion created from the `common understanding` of the definitions

- Excellent example that runs through the entire book, with appropriate departures to clarify points.

- Valuable introduction to the Object Constraint Language (OCL) and action semantics

- Most information that belongs in the appendix / late chapters is there (see below)


A few dings -


First, I would have to agree with Mr. Duff's comments on the target audience - I'm fairly experienced with Object Oriented programming and with design work, but when I tried to read this, I started getting confused and very sleepy. I started out with UML for Dummies and this made life much easier.


Second, the author included an early chapter and 50 pages throughout the book to the architecture and formal definition of UML. Frankly, I'm not sure who is really interested in the definition of the UML 1.4 four layer architecture model and the UML 2.0 superstructure library, but to me the bigger sin is to put it in chapter 2 instead of an appendix / later chapter. I didn't gain anything except a headache by reading about it earlier in the book.


Third, although he is very clear about it through the book, the version that I have came out before the final specification. This may cause some things to be different from his version to the final specification. However, he details those specifically, gives the likely outcomes, and the detailed areas are in the hinterlands of UML.


Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment