Friday 18 February 2011

When Your Parents Sign the Paychecks: Finding Career Success Inside or Outside the Family Business



When Your Parents Sign the Paychecks: Finding Career Success Inside or Outside the Family Business
Greg Mccann | 1900-01-01 00:00:00 | JIST Works | 256 | Guides
Do you want a career in your family's business? This guide shows young people with a family business how to:

Take charge of their education, career, and life for success and happiness.
Avoid entitlement, lack of direction, and feeling stuck.
Earn credibility and marketability in the family business.
Face family expectations and preserve relationships.
Reviews
Greg McCann's book has transformed my professional life from an amateur to a professional. Without this book and all of its insight about social intelligence, I would not have progressed so much in all of the walks of my life. Not only has this book taught me how to fully take responsibility for my work, as an aspiring entrepreneur When Your Parents Sign the Paychecks has raised my standard for my goals and the way I plan to accomplish them.



One common misconception about this book might be "I don't have a family business; therefore this book may not be for me." Well after reading this book, I can tell you that that statement is false. I am not from a family business, although I have definitely recommended this text to those families in all stages of business and transition. This book will give you a new outlook on a way you can transform your business as well as your life. If you follow all the exercises and look into topics discussed in the book, such as the life plan and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, your professional life will improve greatly. The life plan that Dr. Greg McCann has you do in a latter chapter of the book is the best exercise I have ever done in my life.



As a young man still trying to figure things out, I have found this book to be a guideline for me. This guideline has really helped me bring my parents back into my life, not only by me being able to be myself but also in discussing my plan with them. The book also showed me ways and habits of communication within my close network of friends and family which has helped me in countless situations. The amount of self-assurance that I received after reading this was priceless and really put things into prospective for me.



Lastly I would like to comment on the way the book is written. Not only was it a compelling read, it challenged me to look back at myself and see the big picture. While I was reading it, I really felt like I had a life coach talking to me. The book's layout is well structured too; with key definitions and charts laid out to help you truly understand the material. I would recommend this book to anyone who is trying to get serious about their life - for parents and students of all ages.


Reviews
I'm approaching my one-year anniversary working for a medium-sized, but growing, family business. The majority of my career - nearly 20 years, however, has been spent moving up the corporate ladder. Greg's book was an invaluable guide to exploiting the opportunities, and avoiding the pitfalls, of such a business. Thanks to reading it, I hit the ground running, with eyes wide open!
Reviews
As a professional with one of the world's top firms serving the next generation of families who own businesses and families of wealth,I found this book to be the best resource I have found to assist young people in their career quest. The author articulates the issues I hear about from my clients every day in his description of the "eight challenges". These challenges face anyone considering working with their family business. This structure provides a systematic, step-by-step process that has never before been available. The best part is that it goes beyond just talking about it in terms of a career decision and goes deeper helping individuals assess their passions and thinking in terms of what is best for them, their family and the business.



It is about self development and awareness for individuals and includes tools that can help a family get along better and have a more successful business. At its core it helps young people take ownership for their lives, a core issue at this life stage, especially when your family owns a business and/or has great wealth.



The book is written in a voice that makes it accessible for an audience of teenagers but in my opinion it is extremely useful for all ages including parents and advisors working with family owned businesses. It even comes with a Parents Guide to coach the senior generation how to best be a productive part of their child's use of this book.



In my experience I have never read a book that has given me so much insight into how to advise members of the next generation and I would recommend this book to anyone considering working with their family, parents who own a family business and advisors who work with families in business.



Fantastic and fun read!






Reviews
Most family businesses don't survive the next generation of family members. "When Your Parents Sign The Paychecks: Finding Career Success Inside Or Outside The Family Business" by Greg McCann (Founder of the Family Business Center, Stetson University and the family business consulting firm of McCann & Associates ) offers a comprehensive and superbly organized guide to having a career within or without the family business. Professor McCann teaches the reader how to create and evaluate an education and career plan where decisions are made for the right reason instead of by default; develop 'marketability' for themselves instead of merely feeling entitled to a position through nepotism; build a career portfolio, obtain work experience outside their family business, and recruit objective mentors for themselves. Of special note is what Professor McCann has to say about preserving relationships while dealing with family expectations with respect to entering the family business; the importance of attitude and communication styles; and avoiding the downside of undeserved pay and benefits arising from participation in a family business. Using examples of three young people with family businesses, "When Your Parents Sign The Paychecks" deals with 'the amateur', 'the semipro', and 'the professional'. If you have a family business that you'd like to see your children take on, of if you are the child of a parent with a family business expecting you to take over, you need to give Professor McCann's "When Your Parents Sign The Paychecks" a close and careful reading. This is a unique and seminal work that should be a part of every college and community library's Jobs & Careers reference collection.

Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download


No comments:

Post a Comment