Saturday 29 January 2011

Navigating Through Algebra in Grades 3-5 (Principles and Standards for School Mathematics Navigations Series)



Navigating Through Algebra in Grades 3-5 (Principles and Standards for School Mathematics Navigations Series)
Gilbert J. Cuevas,Karol L. Yeatts | 2001-03-01 00:00:00 | National Council of Teachers of Mathematics | 90 | Education
The important ideas of algebra, including patterns, variables, equations, and functions, are the focus of this book. Student activities that introduce and promote familiarity with these ideas include constructing growing patterns using isosceles triangles, analyzing situations with constant or varying rates of change, and observing and representing various patterns in an array. The supplemental CD-ROM features interactive electronic activities, master copies of activity pages for students, and additional readings for teachers.
Reviews
This is one of the best resources I've ever used (not that I've used very many). It's partly scripted, so if you're not real confident about teaching math, this is a big help. This series stresses math concepts instead of math algorithms, so kids learn ideas instead of trying to memorize steps.



There are plenty of black-line masters if you're short on materials, connections with other content areas (mostly reading), and online web technology resources. I'm using this series instead of our school's math series, because it embeds strong thinking skills in each lesson---something our kids don't get enough of. Plus, the group of kids I'm teaching are very low in their math achievement, and these lessons make math so much more fun for them. They say math is fun now, and some feel like they're not even doing math---great for those kids who hate math.



I was so impressed when I first tried the "Navigations in Geometry", that I bought the whole series. I highly recommend these books as a supplement to or replacement of traditional math instruction textbooks.
Reviews
I had to buy the book for an algebra class that is part of my math endorsement and some of our class assignments have been to teach lessons from this book. The lessons are hands on, fun, and teach so many higher-level thinking skills. My students love the lessons and don't even realize they are solving multi-variable algebra problems. I would recommend possibly buying a lower grade level version. I teach 6th grade and found that the 6-8 book is too advanced and lessons from the 3-5 book are perfect for my class.

Download this book!

Free Ebooks Download

No comments:

Post a Comment